3/13/2008

Is It Worth the Price?

          I was reading the BusiessWeek online, and found about an article which compares the price over its quality. This article grabbed my attention since I was also looking for a new laptop and couldn't decide which one to buy.

http://images.businessweek.com/story/08/600/0310_id.jpg

          Many people these days want to have something unique and special for their own satisfaction, and often the price doesn't matter for them to buy it. The article "Is It Worth It?" from BusinessWeek deals with this kind of question and tests to see whether people really get what they pay for.
          First of all, the article gives a comparison between Krups XP7230, which is fully automatic Espresso Machine ($1,250), and Bialetti Moka Express ($25). Even though I love to have a cup of coffee every day or so, I thought buying a $1,250 machine just to have a esspresso sounded insane. However, after reading the article, I was so moved for what it can do. Including self-cleaning system, it can produce same amount of coffee with creamy foam on top of it each time by simply pressing a button.

nullnullnull

          Next, it compares two pairs of sneakers, one is Nike Zoom Kobe III ($130) , and the other is Stephon Marbury Starbury II ($15). Just for the design, the article describes the Starbury II as "...giving the appearance of a nurse's shoe gone bad." and Kobe III as "...likely meant to resemble a basketball net, but to us, they looked more like Spidey socks." Since I'm not that into shoes or sneakers, I always buy ones less than $50, and if they worn-out, I just throw them out and buy new ones. The article recommends the Starbury for the cheap price, but yet, fulfills its performance as basketball sneakers.
          The last one to make me interested in was the comparison of razor blades, between Braun Pulsonic ($270) and Gillette Fusion Power ($13). I'm currently using Gillette Fusion Power and have no problem at all; however, since I have to replace the blades often for the best result, in the long run, like the article stated, the Fusion could cost more than just simply buying a electronic shaver for once.
          There was also a comparison between two robot toys, but I didn't mention them because I was not interested purchasing the toys at this age. The article was really interesting to read because not only it showed me different aspects of looking at the products, but also taught me that sometimes it is really better to buy goods that are expensive for the uncomparable quality. I will be spending some time again to look for a good laptop to use at the campus, and like everybody else, I want the best one for my budget. Making a decision has been always hard for me, so I wish that I could pick a best choice for it.

Reference;


20601008 1st Entry

No comments: